IELTS Speaking: Say More

The IELTS Speaking test is divided into three parts, and while the questions in part one are simpler, and you could use shorter answers, you should be trying to impress the examiner.

Remember when they decide your IELTS speaking score, students get a higher band score when they show a range of grammar and vocabulary.

Consider the following part one question and answer:
Examiner: What do you do to keep healthy?
Student: I run.

While the question has been answered, this is obviously not a good answer. The examiner cannot judge your English level, based on such a short response.

Look at the following answers to various part one questions, and decide which one you think is best. 
Answers are at the bottom.

1A) I think I'll study accounting next month. I will decide after my exam. 
1B) I'm planning to take a degree in Art & Design. The course I want to take starts in January next year.
2A) I spend lots of time around children because I’ve got three – well one is only a toddler. My kids are very entertaining but sometimes they are very naughty. 
2B) I often play with children because my brother has two. They are nice most of the time, but sometimes they are bad.

IELTS Speaking
3A) I like black. I often wear black clothes like sweaters, jeans, and socks.
3B) I'm really into red. I've got loads of red shirts, and trousers and accessories because people say it suits me.
4A) I'm a big fan of badminton. I've been playing every week since I was about 8 years old.
4B) My favourite sport is basketball. I play basketball every week in the summer.
5A) I still live in the same neighbourhood I grew up in. It used to be a bit boring but now there are loads of shops and restaurants.
5B) I grew up in Shantou. I lived in a small house. Shantou was boring.


6A) I really like food. My favourite food is beef and noodles. I don't like vegetables very much but I try to eat them because they're healthy.
6B) I love all kinds of food. I prefer savoury dishes to sweet ones. In restaurants I tend to choose spicy meals and avoid anything too greasy.
Answers
1 – B
2 – A
3 – B
4 – A
5 – A
6 – B

IELTS Triumph
~ Every little helps ~
                                          
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IELTSTriumph
Twitter: https://twitter.com/IeltsTriumph
Email: ieltstriumph.english@gmail.com
Instagram:   @ieltstriumph

No comments:

Post a Comment