IELTS Speaking: Food Vocabulary

Do you like to cook?
What time do you usually eat dinner?
Are there any types of food you don’t like?
Describe a restaurant that you like to use. You should say 
IELTS Speaking vocabulary


Where this restaurant is
What kind of food it serves
How often you go there
And say why you like eating there so much.
How can we encourage people to eat more healthily?
Do you think people enjoy their food as much as they should?
Do you think cooking is a pleasure or a chore for people who have busy lives?

These are all questions you could hear at any part of a speaking test, but how can you answer them? Well I suggest you try to work some of these words or phrases into your answers.

Full up = When you cannot eat anymore, because you have eaten too much.
“I was full up after the buffet, so I didn’t have dinner this evening.”

Starving hungry = A hyperbolic way of saying that you are very hungry.
“I skipped breakfast, so I was starving by lunchtime.”

Dying of hunger = An even more exaggerated way of saying you are hungry
“I skipped breakfast and lunch, so by dinner time I was dying of hunger.”

A balanced diet = When you eat the correct type and amount of food

Eat like a horse = When you eat a lot
“I am going to eat like a horse at lunch, I didn’t have time for breakfast.”

Follow a recipe = When you cook a dish or meal using instructions
“I can cook if I follow a recipe otherwise it will not turn out well.”

Foot the bill = to pay the bill
“If I invite you for dinner then I expect to foot the bill.”

Fussy eater = When you have a very high standard about what you will and will not eat.
“My son is a fussy eater, but I hope he will grow out of it.”

Grab a bite to eat = When you eat something quickly, because you have no time.
“I got up late, so I had to grab a bite to eat on the bus to work.”

A sweet tooth = When you enjoy food that has a lot of sugar.
“I have to stay away from cake shops, because I have a sweet tooth.”

Home-cooked food = Food cooked at your home, made from ingredients. 
“Is there anything better than home-cooked food?”

Play with your food = When you push your food around the plate to avoid eating it
“I wasn’t hungry, so I played with my food until everyone else had finished.”

Processed food / Ready meal = Food that has already been prepared and is more convenient to cook and eat.
“I hate processed food, but I don’t have the time to prepare a meal.”

Quick snack = A small amount of food between meals, can be junk food or healthy food.
“I like to have a quick snack around 11am, to keep me going until lunchtime.”

A slap up meal = a large meal
“We had a slap up meal to celebrate my daughters graduation.”

Spoil your appetite = When you eat something, and then when you get to your mealtime you are not hungry.
“I shouldn’t have eaten that cake, it has spoiled my appetite.”

Take away = A meal cooked in a restaurant that you take home to eat.
“I got a take away on the way home.”

 Tuck into = When you eat something with pleasure
“I tucked into my meal after the long journey home.”

Wine and dine = When you entertain someone by treating them to food and drink
“I wined and dined my in-laws when they came to visit, but they didn’t seem impressed.”

Work up an appetite = Doing something physical that leads to you being hungry
“I worked up an appetite in the gym, and ate far too many calories.”

IELTS Triumph
~ Every little helps ~
                                          
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IELTSTriumph
Twitter: https://twitter.com/IeltsTriumph
Email: ieltstriumph.english@gmail.com
Instagram:   @ieltstriumph

No comments:

Post a Comment