IELTS Speaking: Clothes Vocabulary

Do you enjoy buying clothes?
What kind of clothes do you like to wear?
Are there many clothes shops where you live?
Describe someone you know who dresses well. You should say
IELTS Speaking vocabulary

Who they are
How you know them
What kind of clothes they wear
and say why you like the way they dress.
What factors do you think affect the clothes we choose to wear?
What kind of things determine what is in fashion and what we should be wearing?
Is it possible to look good without spending lots of money on clothes?

These are all questions you might hear during a speaking test, but what are you going to talk about? Well here are some words and phrases you might want to try to include 

Trendy = Very fashionable
“I am not trendy at all, I just don’t have any interest in fashion.”

Casual clothes = Clothes that are not formal
“My favourite part of my job is that I can wear casual clothes.”

Classic style = A simple and traditional style that is always fashionable
Classic style jeans seem to always be trendy.”

Designer label = A company that most people know and it makes clothing (usually expensive stuff)
“I don’t get why anyone wants a designer label t-shirt, it just isn’t worth the money.”

Dressed to kill = When you wear clothes that will make people admire you
“I went to my job interview dressed to kill.”

Dress for the occasion = When you wear clothes which are suitable for what you are doing.
“We are going hiking, you should dress for the occasion and not wear jeans and flip flops.”

Fashion icon = Someone who is famous for their sense of style and fashion
“I was a fashion icon at high school, but nobody at university liked my style.

Fashion show = An event where the latest designs in fashion are shown off
“I have never been to a fashion show, and I don’t think that will change.”

Get dressed up = When you put on nice clothes and go out somewhere special
“I got dressed up for the party, and everyone said I have an eye for fashion.”

Out of fashion = Something that is not trendy anymore
“Some say blazers are out of fashion, but I still think I look good in them.”

Hand-me-downs = Clothes you wear that used to belong to your older brother or sister
“I always had hand-me-downs from my brother growing up, but now I am the one giving him clothes.”

Have an eye for (fashion) = When you are a good judge of something (this phrase is not limited to fashion)
“My friends love going shopping with me, they say I have an eye for fashion.”

Height of fashion = very fashionable
“I have no idea what the height of fashion is these days.”

Look good in = When what you are wearing suits you
“I think I look good in a polo shirt, but my wife disagrees.”

Must-have = something that is very popular, because it is very fashionable
“IPhones used to be must-haves but these days, I don’t think they are.”

Off the peg = Ready made clothing like you would find in H&M or Uniqlo
“I like to buy my clothes off the peg, it is just quicker and cheaper.”

Slave to fashion = someone who needs to wear the latest fashions
“My sister is a slave to fashion, it costs her so much money.”

Take pride in one’s appearance = When you pay attention to how you look
“My wife says I should take pride in my appearance, but I just don’t care.”

Timeless = Something that doesn’t go out of fashion
“Jeans are timeless, at least that’s what I think.”

IELTS Triumph
~ Every little helps ~
                                          
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IELTSTriumph
Twitter: https://twitter.com/IeltsTriumph
Email: ieltstriumph.english@gmail.com
Instagram:   @ieltstriumph

No comments:

Post a Comment