IELTS Speaking: Health Vocabulary

Health is important of course, even more so than education. What happens when the two collide though, and you are faced with speaking test questions about health? What can you talk about?
IELTS Speaking vocabulary


An IELTS Part One Question
“Do you have any relation you’re particularly fond of?”
Answer: My grandfather, although he is over eighty years old now, but still as fit as a fiddle, he does sometimes feel under the weather though and then I spend a lot more time with him.
“Do you do any sport?”
Answer: I used to love ice-skating when I was younger, but my mother made me stop. I was coming home with too many cuts and bruises.
Are you afraid of anything?
Answer: Just the dentist, I have had three fillings and I hate it every time.

Part 2 IELTS question
Describe a time when you were ill. You should say:
when this was
what your symptoms were
how long the illness lasted
and say how it affected your life at the time.

Answer: I am quite a healthy guy usually, and luckily I have never been in hospital. I do catch a cold like everyone else, and after a hard day in the gym I have some aches and pains. Last winter was the worst cold I had had in a long time, blocked nosesore throat and a cough too. It seemed to last forever,  I started feeling poorly at work, but I didn’t want to take the day off I needed the money. I managed to get through the worst of it without infecting my students.

Part 3 IELTS style questions
Examiner: What sort of things do you have to pay for if you get sick in your country.
Answer: Hmmmmm, there are a few things to pay for, prescriptions can be expensive, and even though general healthcare is free, many people go private and pay a lot for their treatment.
Examiner: In your experience are people too quick to take time off work when they’re ill?
Answer: Many people I know take a sick day when they just have a runny nose, they call in sick, and hope to make a quick recovery and be back at work the next day.
Do women pay more attention to their health than men?
Answer: In my experience yes, my father often has a chesty cough, but he refuses to make an appointment to see the doctor. My mother though, gets a check-up every six months. 

Key Vocabulary
Aches and pains – minor pain, which continues over a period of time

To be a bit off colour – When you feel a little ill

To be on the mend – To be getting better after an illness

To be under the weather – An informal expression for not feeling very well

A blocked nose – When you have a cold, and you cannot breath through your nose
A check-up – When a doctor examines you

Chesty cough – A deep cough coming from congestion around the lungs

Cuts and bruises – Small injuries

Fit as a fiddle – Very healthy

Go private – To choose to pay for commercial healthcare instead of using the government provided services

Have a filling – When a dentist repairs your tooth
A heavy cold – A bad cold

Make a quick recover – To not feel ill for a long time

Phone in sick – To call your work in the morning to tell them you cannot come in, because you are sick

Prescription – Medicine that you can only buy with permission from a doctor
Runny nose – When there is liquid coming out of your nose

IELTS Triumph
~ Every little helps ~
                                          
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IELTSTriumph
Twitter: https://twitter.com/IeltsTriumph
Email: ieltstriumph.english@gmail.com
Instagram:   @ieltstriumph


No comments:

Post a Comment