IELTS Speaking: Appearance Vocabulary

Do you look like any other people in your family?
Tell me about your family.
What does your best friend look like?
Describe a person whose appearance you like. You should say
IELTS Speaking vocabulary



Who this person is
What their relationship is to you
What they look like
And say what it is about their appearance you like.
Is it important to dress well whenever we go out?
Do people worry too much about their appearance as they get older?
Is attractiveness a quality worthwhile aiming for?
These questions could come up when you take a speaking test, and how you answer them will of course be based on your personal experience, but you could consider some of these phrases for your answer.

A striking resemblance = Look very similar to
“My son has a striking resemblance to his mother.”

Cropped hair = Very short hair
“As I get older I have to have cropped hair, otherwise it looks dishevelled.”

Dishevelled hair = Untidy hair
“I used to have dishevelled hair, but now I work in a bank it is cropped.”

Dress up to the nines / Get done up = When you dress very smartly or glamorously
“I dressed up to the nines for my son’s graduation.”

Fair hair = light-coloured hair
“I had fair hair when I was younger, but it is brown now.”

Fair-skinned = light skinned
“I can’t go out in the sun for too long, as I am fair-skinned.”

Be getting on a bit = When you are getting old
“I am getting on a bit now, I can’t manage 90 minutes of football anymore.”

Go grey = To have hair that is turning grey
“I wish I was going grey instead of going bald.”

Grow old gracefully = When you get older in and do not try to hide it.
“There is something sweet about growing old gracefully.”

Hard of hearing = To find it difficult to hear
“My grandfather is hard of hearing, so we have to speak extra loud to him.”

Scruffy = dressed untidily
“I used to be scruffy until I met my wife.”

Look young for your age = When you look younger than you are
“People say I look young for my age, but I think they are just being polite.”

Lose one’s figure = When your good figure has gone
“I lost my figure after having a baby, but I am trying to get it back.”

Complexion = natural skin colour and texture
“People say I have good complexion.”

Middle-aged = When you are aged somewhere between 45-65
“I am getting closer to middle-aged, and it scares me.”

Never have a hair out of place = When your hair is perfectly styled 
“Bill never has a hair out of place, it must takes him ages to do his hair in the morning.”

Overweight = When you weigh more than what is considered to be a healthy weight
“I know I am overweight, and I am trying to change that.”

Shoulder-length hair = hair that comes down to the shoulders
“I find shoulder length hair to be very attractive.”

Slender figure = a tall and slim figure
“My wife has a slender figure.”

Slim figure = attractively thin
“My slim figure is very popular with the boys in my class.”

Thick hair = A lot of hair
“I used to have such lovely thick hair, but as I get older it is disappearing by the day.”

Well-built = muscular
“Can you be well-built and slim?”

Youthful appearance = to look young
“My youthful appearance helps me relate to my students.”

IELTS Triumph
~ Every little helps ~
                                          
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IELTSTriumph
Twitter: https://twitter.com/IeltsTriumph
Email: ieltstriumph.english@gmail.com
Instagram:   @ieltstriumph

No comments:

Post a Comment