IELTS Speaking: Sports Vocabulary

Do you do any sports?
How do you spend a typical weekend?
Have you got any hobbies or interests?
Describe a place you like going to in your leisure time. You should say:
IELTS Speaking vocabulary


What this place is
When you go there
What you do there
And say why you enjoy it there so much.
Should people be encouraged more to take up sport?
Why do some people enjoy participating in sport more than others?
Which sports do you think are best for people who aren’t used to physical activity?


Sports is a topic that you could quite possibly see come up in a speaking test, and you may hear some of these questions.
Whatever answer you give you might want to use some of these words and phrases.

An athletics meeting = an event where various athletics sports are held
“Sports day was mostly an athletics meeting, and I used to do well in the 400 metres.”

Athletics track = A running track
“I have never really been into sports, but I do enjoy a brisk walk around the athletics track in the evening.”

Away game = a football match played in the opposing teams stadium
Away games are the best when you win, and the worst when you lose.”

Brisk walk = Walk fast
“A brisk walk in the evening helps me relax.”

Football fan = someone who likes football
“As a football fan, I enjoy the World Cup summers the most.”

Fitness programme = A schedule of activities to keep fit
“I am trying to get into shape, so my coach has devised a great fitness programme for me.”

Football pitch = The surface football is played on, whereas the stadium is the building.
“We have a great football pitch at my university, but it is hardly used.”

Football season = The time in the year when football is played, in most countries it is August to May
“I love it when the football season is coming, I get so excited.”

Get into shape = To get fit
“I ate too much in the holiday, so I need to get into shape.”

Keep fit = To stay in good physical condition
“It is not easy to keep fit, but I try my best.”

 Be out of condition = When you are not physically fit
“I am out of condition, I really took it easy in the holiday.”

Personal best = to achieve your best result so far in a sport
“I set a new personal best in the 400 metres during sports day.”

Personal trainer = A sports coach that helps you one-to-one
“I need to get a personal trainer to help me get back into shape.”

Season ticket = a ticket that gives you entry a team’s home game
“I need to get a season ticket before they sell out.”

Sports centre = A public building where people can do various sports
“We have a sports centre in my community, but I don’t have time to go.”

Sports facilities = The equipment and services needed to do a sport
“We have some sports facilities at my university, but they are a bit old.”

Strenuous exercise = Exercise that needs a lot of physical effort
Strenuous exercise is what I need, I can’t take it easy any more.”

IELTS Triumph
~ Every little helps ~
                                          
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IELTSTriumph
Twitter: https://twitter.com/IeltsTriumph
Email: ieltstriumph.english@gmail.com
Instagram:   @ieltstriumph

No comments:

Post a Comment