IELTS Speaking: Relationship Vocabulary

Do you see your friends very often?
What do you like about your close friends?
Have you known each other long?
Describe a person you are very close to. You should say:
IELTS Speaking vocabulary


Who this person is
When you met them
Where you met them
And say what it is about them you like so much.
Do you think marriage is still as important as ever?
What do you think is the ideal time to get married?
Is it important to keep in contact with our friends when we’re in a relationship?


Relationships are a topic that could come up in your speaking test, and you may be faced with one or more of the questions above. If you do get one of these questions you might want to consider using some of these words or phrases in your answer.

Break up = When a romantic relationship ends
“We broke up last month, but I still think about him sometimes.”

Drift apart = When people become less close than they were before.
“You can’t help but drift apart from some people as you get older.”

Enjoy someone’s company = When you like spending time with someone
“I enjoy spending time with Kate, I think I am falling for her.”

 Fall for / fall head over heels in love = When you fall in love very deeply
“I fell head over heels in love with her, I enjoy everything about her.”

Fall out with = When you have a disagreement and are not friends anymore
“We fell out with each other, when she didn’t invite me to her birthday party.”

Get on like a house on fire = When you like someone’s company a lot
“Kate and I get on like a house on fire, we are going to move in together.”

Go back years = When you know someone for a long time
“Bill and I go back years, I don’t even know how long it has been.” 

Have a lot in common = When you have similar interests
“Kate and I have a lot in common, so I think it is going to work.

Have ups and downs When your relationship has good and bad times
“Every marriage has up and downs, you just have to know how to get through them.”

Healthy relationship = A good, positive relationship
“Kate and I have a healthy relationship, I think it is because we give each other enough space.”

Hit it off = When you quickly become good friends with someone
“Bill and I hit it off, as soon as we found out we both loved playing Fortnight.”

In a relationship = When you are romantically involved with someone
“Kate and I are now in a relationship, she changed her WeChat avatar to a picture of us together.”

Just good friends = Not romantically involved
“Kelly and I are just good friends.”

Keep in touch with = Keep in contact with
Lose touch with = To not see or hear from someone any longer
“I keep in touch with some of my high school friends, but I have lost touch with a lot of them.”

Love at first sight = When you fall in love as soon as you meet someone
“It wasn’t love at first sight for me and Kate, but maybe love at second or third sight.”

Pop the question = When you ask someone to marry you
“Kate and I have been living together for a year, I think it is time to pop the question.”

See eye to eye = When you agree on a subject
“My sister and I see eye to eye on a lot of things.”

Settle down = When you give up single life and start a family

Tie the knot = Get married
“Now Kate and I have tied the knot, I really have settled down.”

IELTS Triumph
~ Every little helps ~
                                          
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IELTSTriumph
Twitter: https://twitter.com/IeltsTriumph
Email: ieltstriumph.english@gmail.com
Instagram:   @ieltstriumph

No comments:

Post a Comment