IELTS: Talking about what you like

In Part One of the IELTS speaking test, you are often asked about what you like or don’t like, and your preferences. Here are some possible questions you may be asked:


Likes
Do you enjoy shopping?
Do you like playing computer games?
What past times do you enjoy doing?
What’s your favourite sport?
What do you do for fun?


Dislikes
Is there anything you dislike about technology?
Are there any drinks you don’t like?

Preferences
Do you prefer to go out with friends or spend time at home?
Would you rather a home cooked meal or a meal in a restaurant?
Is it better to spend time in a hot or cold place?


When you are answering questions like these, you need to give a full answer using a range of vocabulary.

Today we are focused on some vocabulary that you can use when talking about likes, dislikes and preferences.


Likes:
Dislikes:
I’m fond of (X)
I detest (X)
I’m into (X)
I can’t bear (X)
I’m keen on (X)
I’m not keen on (X)
I adore (X)
I loathe (X)
(X) is  stunning
I can’t stand (X)
(X) is awesome
I hate (X)

Preferences:
(X) is better
I like (X) more
I’d rather (X)

(X) is far superior
I’d sooner (X)
IELTS speaking

Tips

1. Concession words
To talk about preferences we usually use concession words. These words allow you to give another point of view, which is the opposite of the first point.

Is it better to spend time in a hot or cold place?
I prefer a hot place. Admittedly, you can do many different things in a cold place, but in a hot place you can enjoy a swim and a trip to the beach.

Do you enjoy trying new foods?
Yes, I’m into trying new things and I go to restaurants whenever I can. Having said that, though, I do have some favourite dishes that I often order, because they are always good.

2. Change of focus with +ing or to…
Like, love, hate and prefer can be used with both an –ing form or a to infinitive. However, there is a slight difference in meaning.
For example
I like to walk every day – this is a habit, and they think it is a good idea.
I like walking in the morning – then you actively enjoy walking.



IELTS Triumph
~ Every little helps ~
                                          
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IELTSTriumph
Twitter: https://twitter.com/IeltsTriumph
Email: ieltstriumph.english@gmail.com
Instagram:   @ieltstriumph                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment