IELTS Speaking: Technology Vocabulary

Do you enjoy using technology?
Do you use the Internet for your studies?
Do you have your own computer?
Describe an item of technology you have that is very important. You should say:
IELTS Speaking vocabulary


What the technology is
When you got it
How often you use it
And say how different your daily life would be without it.
What do you think are the important things people need to learn when they start using computers?
What kind of technological developments have made the biggest impact on our lives?
Do computers make it much easier to study?

Technology is all around us, so don’t be surprised if it comes up during a speaking test. If and when it does you might want to think about using some of these phrases in your answer.

Access email = When you open your email 
“I access my email about ten times a day, they never stop sending me stuff to deal with.”

Back up files = When you make a copy of your files in case of a computer problem.
“I back up my files to an external hard drive, I don’t trust clouds yet.”

Boot up = Start a computer
“My computer takes ages to boot up.”

Bookmark a page = To mark a website page for future reference
“I have hundreds of bookmarks, I really need to go through them.”

Browse websites = to look at websites
“I like to browse Amazon on the subway, but I am starting to spend too much money.”

Computer buff = an computer expert

Crash= to suddenly stop working

 “My brother is a computer buff, he is the one I call when my computer crashes.”

Cut and paste = to move text or images from one place in a document to another place
Cutting and pasting is a basic computer skill.”

Digital editing = to edit materials like audio or video files
“I wish I knew how to digitally edit files, I could do so much more with my computer then.”

High-spec (laptop/desktop): A powerful computer 
“You need a high-spec laptop for online gaming.”

Navigate = To find your way around a website
“Bilibili must be one of the easiest website to navigate.”

Operating system = The software that tells the computer how to work
“Most computers run Windows as an operating system, but I prefer Linux as I am a computer buff.”

Techie = Somebody who has an interest in technology
“I think I am becoming a techie as I get older.”

Upgrade = To get a more powerful feature or piece of software for your computer.
“I upgraded my computer, so I could play Fortnight.”

IELTS Triumph
~ Every little helps ~
                                          
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IELTSTriumph
Twitter: https://twitter.com/IeltsTriumph
Email: ieltstriumph.english@gmail.com
Instagram:   @ieltstriumph

No comments:

Post a Comment